Saint Trinity Cathedral
The Saint Trinity Cathedral is the principal cathedral of the Ural capital. The cathedral was laid as a stone three-patronal church in the classic style. The erection of the cathedral from laying of the foundation to the first stroke of bell took 40 years, from 1814 to 1854.
Initially the structure was intended to serve as a house of worship for old believers, but the authorities did not permit to finish and consecrate it. The cathedral was one of the largest and richest churches in the city: such venerated icons as the Kazan icon of Virgin Mary and the icon of Saint Nicolas the Wonderworker were kept there.
In 1930 the cathedral was closed, its bell tower and domes destroyed. For decades the church served as a workers' club, cinema, weaving factory and a recreation center. The cathedral was given back to the Orthdox Church only in 1995. The inauguration of the cathedral after its reconstruction took place on the 24th of September 2000.