Saint John the Forerunner’s monastery.
Saint John the Forerunner’s monastery (Ioanno-Priedtietchienskii Monastyr) was founded by the Astrakhan’s metropolite Savvatii (1683-1697) thanks to his own initiative and money. First mention of the monastery appeared in 1688, when the architect Aleksandr and his team asked the permission to the metropolite to build a stone church in honour of Saint John the Forerunner. Building finished with the third abbot, the father Gierasim and with the new metropolite Sampson very helping, who enable to organize the consecration the 19th October 1697. Today, the monastery is still operating.