Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
The cathedral was built in the 19th century on the territory of the city’s fair. It was designed by architect L.V. Dal. The cathedral was built without the traditional pile foundation and was a centric monumental structure with five octagonal towers, the one in the centre rising to a height of 72.5 meters. The Cathedral was shut down in 1929. During World War II on the main tympanum stood an anti aircraft battery defending the city against enemy attacks. All the interior decoration and ceiling frescos have been destroyed in fires. The reconstruction of the cathedral and its estate started in September 1991 and still isn’t completed.