The Glory Monument was erected in 1882 in honor of the heroic defense of Petropavlovsk against the British and French attack that lasted 10 days. In 1854, war ships from Britain entered Avacha Bay, which at the time was the main port of Russia’s Far East. Pretropavlovsk was besieged but managed to make the enemy back away.
A special place in the memorial on Nikolskaya Hill is occupied by a small necropolis and a chapel. On the pedestal of the monument stands a gun from 1854. A narrow concrete alley leads from the monument towards the bay and the legendary isthmus where, just like in 1854, stands the “Deadly” battery of Lieutenant Maksutov.