Monument to Saint Nicolas
The monument to the saint patron of sailors, Saint Nicolas, was erected in the city centre on November 19, 2008. The 3.5 meters high bronze statue weighing more than a ton is located near the graveyard of Russian and foreign marines who died in 1854 protecting Pretopavlovsk-Kamchatsky against the landing of French and British squadrons during the Crimea war of 1853 and 1856.
The statue depicts Saint Nicolas holding a sword and the building of a temple, symbolizing the spiritual struggle of the church for the salvation of the souls of the faithful. The date of unveiling wasn’t randomly chosen, November 19 is the Saint Nicolas’ name day for the Orthodox Church. The monument was a gift from Saint Nicolas’ funds, an association that raises monuments to Saints in the whole country, to the city.