Cathedral Saint Sophia
The Cathedral Saint Sophia was founded by Yaroslav the Wise in 1045-1050 as a public place of worship. It is one of the oldest stone construction in Russia and the first stone cathedral in Novgorod.
In 1991, it was consecrated by architect Alexy and was reopened to the cult. The cathedral still holds the relics of Novgorod: the miraculous icon of the Virgin of the Sign from the 12th century, the holy relics of Novgorod's bishop, Nikita, amazing inconostasis from the 15th - 17th century and the bronze doors of Magdebourg from the 12th century.