Lenin square is the oldest one in Tomsk and it is four times larger than the Red Square in Moscow. In the summer of 1604 the Russian Cossacks reached the mouth of Uchayka River and started building a fort on the hill standing right above the square. Later merchandise boats moored at the place where the square now stands. They sold their products there and soon a market appeared.
The square forms a sort of peninsula with Tom River on the west and Uchayka River at the south and east. It received its current name on October 31st, 1959. It is surrounded by many historical buildings, as well as cultural and administrative buildings. The oldest of them is the Epiphany Cathedral, built in 1784.