The cathedral is the main historic symbol of Kaliningrad and one of the rare Gothic style building in Russia. The construction of this cathedral lasted from 1333 to 1380.
During the Second World War the church was badly damaged and it stayed in ruins for a long time. It was restored after the collapse of the USSR.
The cathedral plays an important part in the cultural and religious life of Kaliningrad. It now includes an evangelist chapel, the cathedral museum and the Emmanuel Kant Museum.