The State Russian Museum is home to the world’s largest collection of Russian fine art.
It was founded in 1895 and opened in 1898. Before the Revolution of 1917 the museum was called the Russian Museum of His Imperial Majesty Alexander III.
The museum collection is housed in the Mikhailovsky Palace, which was built in 1819-1825 for the Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich.
The Russian Museum was created on the basis of the collections of Russian artists of the Hermitage, of the Museum of the Academy of Arts and of the suburban Royal Palaces. Its funds were increased with acquisitions and donations, and after the revolution with nationalized and some private collections as well.
Today the collection of the Russian Museum totals more than 320,000 items and covers the entire history of Russian fine art from the 11th century to the present day.