The five domed Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary was consecrated in 1905. It was designed by local engineer A. Strajinsky thanks to donations from the inhabitants of Penza.
In Soviet times the cathedral was closed and its building hosted a warehouse. The temple was returned to the Church in 1945. Within it the relics of a local saint: Innokenti of Penza are kept.