Church of the Savior on the Spilled Blood
The Church of the Savior on the Spilled Blood was built at the order of Alexander III and the decision of the Synod in 1907 on the spot where Alexander II of Russia was murdered. The Church was built as a national memorial to Alexander II.
From 1930 to 1970 the church was used as a warehouse that caused significant damage to the decoration of the church. In 1970 the church became a branch of the museum of Saint Isaac Cathedral.
In 1997 basic restoration works were completed and the church was returned to its status of memorial and was opened to the public. The Church of the Savior on the Blood is an example of the late evolution of “Russian style”.
The building itself represents all the styles of Russian Orthodox Cathedral architecture of the early 17th century.