Cathedral of Kazan
The Cathedral of Kazan in St. Petersburg is one of the largest cathedrals of the Russian Orthodox Church.
"Our Lady of Kazan", probably the most venerated icon in Russia, has been kept here for a long time.
In 1733 Peter the Great ordered to transport it from Moscow to the northern capital to a specially constructed Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin situated on the spot of the actual fountain.
Later on it was decided to replace the decrepit church with a new cathedral, whose construction was finished in 1811.
The cathedral was perceived as a memorial of the Russian victory against Napoleon. In 1813—1814 the colours of defeated French regiments were brought here. A year later after the end of the war field marshal Kutuzov was buried in the cathedral.
During the time of persecution against the Church the cathedral was closed. In 1932, it was reopened as the "Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism." Services resumed in 1992.