Lomonosov Moscow State University
The University was named after Russian scholar Mikhail Lomonosov (November 19, 1711 – April 15, 1765).
The University totals twenty-seven buildings. The main one is located in the highest of Moscow’s “Seven Sisters” (skyscrapers built on the initiative of Stalin). It is located on Vorobyovy Mounts (Sparrow Hills).
Lavrenti Beria, head of NKVD (ancestor of KGB), was put in charge of the construction of this thirty-six floors skyscraper. The building was completed four years later in 1953. Its height, spire included, is 240 meters. The spire is surmounted with a 12 tons red star. This building broke many records at the time, one of them being the number of elevators: one hundred and eleven.
The main building of the skyscraper now hosts faculties, administrations, a scientific library, etc. The side wings are occupied by students’ accommodation.
If only for its size and style, Lomonosov University is worth visiting.