Epiphany Cathedral in Elokhovo
The construction of the Epiphany Cathedral started in 1837 in Elokhovo. This village became a part of Moscow in the 18th century. It is believed that Basil the Blessed, after whom the famous cathedral on Red Square was named, was born here. Great Russian poet A. Pushkin was baptized in 1799 in the stone church that used to stand there.
The Epiphany Cathedral was consecrated in 1853. It is one of the remnants of neoclassicism in Russia. Surmounted with five domes, the one in the centre is meant to be a copy of the one on St Peter’s Basilica in Rome. The Cathedral went through many transformations throughout history.
Unlike others, it remained a religious dedicated place in Soviet times. Until 1990, Patriarchs were enthroned there.