Rozhdestvensky Monastery for men is one of the oldest in Russia. It was founded in 1191 by the Great Prince Vsevolod III Yuryevich or Vsevolod the Big Nest. At the same time the white-stone Cathedral of the Nativity of the Theotokos was erected where prince Alexander Nevsky was buried after a requiem service in 1263.
His relics were left in the cathedral until 1723 when they were transported to Alexander Nevsky Lavra (Monastery) in St. Petersburg. Under Alexander Nevsky this monastery was considered to be one of the most important in Ruthenia; many chronicles were written here in the 13th-14th centuries.
In 1744 Catherine the Great closed the monastery and made it home for the bishops of Vladimir. Since 1992 the monastery has been living again. Now there is a religious school under the monastery.