Apraskin-Trubetskoy Palace is the only remaining Elizabethan Baroque style mansion in Moscow. Its blue turquoise and white façade lavishly decorated makes it easily recognizable.
It was built on a land bought in 1764 on Pokrovka Street by Earl Apraskin, second lieutenant in the imperial guard. The architect is not known and the house was extended before it was sold in 1772 to Prince Dmitri Trubetskoy. The Trubetskoy family was one of the most renowned families in Moscow.
Sold to the University of Moscow in 1861, the building hosted a famous secondary school for boys. After the Bolshevik Revolution, a part of the building was turned into communal flats.
In the 1960s, a Geophysics’ Institute of study and research settled in the palace. It was then restored and the facades regained their former splendor. However inside the building was transformed and very few marks of his past remain.