Demidov Mansion was named after the famous Russian industry and sponsor family from the Ural. In 1791, Ivan Demidov entrusted famous Russian architect Matvey Kazakov to design his mansion.
The house is the perfect example of Russian classicism. Its main façade includes a Corinthian portico with six columns. The classic style also shows in the rose shaped moldings that decorate this same façade.
The interior is in contrast with the exterior: each room is different from the others; all the elements are decorated with refined wooden sculptures. Natural gold with different colors that cover most of the sculptures led to the room being nicknamed “golden rooms”. Nothing in the house is shocking, but it leads to contemplation.
Today the mansion belongs to the State University of Geodesy and Cartography. The University decided to undertake restoration work on the house.