This mansion was named after Nikolai Vasilyevich Igumnov, who was at the time owner of a large manufacture in Yaroslavl.
Eager to own a house that would mirror his social situation, he entrusted the project to Yaroslavl city’s chief architect: N. Pozdeyed. Completed in 1893, it was built in the merchants’ area: Zamoskvorechye.
Igumnov did not spare his money so as to enable Pozdeyev to complete his project successfully. The architect found his inspiration in former wooden palaces and churches in Yaroslavl. Bricks were especially brought from the Netherlands. The façade is made of multicolored tiles designed by a master in the art of tile painting. The famous Kuznetsovo factory made them. The interior of the house shows a certain eclectism in styles. The mansion, one of Moscow’s most peculiar, was far from being appreciated by all. That might have been one element that rushed Igumnov’s disgrace. Indeed, he had to leave Moscow after a rumor stated that a coin depicting the emperor had been slipped in the floor so that the Emperor’s portrait would be stepped upon.
After 1917 the mansion had various purposes. Since 1938 it hosts the French Embassy. And since 1979, it is the official residence of French Ambassadors.