House of Moscow Governors-General
This beautiful building from the 18th century hosts Moscow’s city administration since the early 1990s. It is located on the city’s most prestigious street in Soviet times: Tverskaya Street.
Moscow’s governor, Earl Zakhar Chernychev, entrusted famous Russian architect Matvey Kazakov with the designing of what was going to be his mansion. The work was completed in 1784. Built in stone, it had a classical-style portico as well as circular wings.
When the Earl died, the mansion was bought by the State. Damaged in 1812 and 1823, it was renovated and then after the Bolshevik revolution it became property of Moscow’s soviet. In the years 1920-1930 it was very much modified: the wings were destroyed. After the War, two more floors were added. The façade was painted in its current colors: white and red. Deeply modified in Soviet times, the interior was partially restored in 1988.