Iberian Gate (Iverskie)
Iberian Gate, located between Red Square and Manezh Square, consists of two arc spans surmounted a palace and two towers. The gate we now see dates back to 1996. The historic one was destroyed in 1931 for the reconstruction of Red Square.
Initially built in the 14th century, it was then restored in 1669 and a chapel was added between the two arcs. It hosted the icon of the Virgin of Iver. Another icon called “Resurrection of the Christ” was placed on the door. Hence the other name of the gate: Resurrection Gate. It then went through other modifications.
Nowadays, the kilometer zero has symbolically been placed right in front of the Iberian Gate. According to tradition on should turn around and through a rock behind their shoulder, if the rock lands on the plaque then their wishes shall came true.