Moscow’s manezh was initially built so as to host the Officers horse-riding school as well as the cavalrymen’s equipment and costumes.
Its construction, in 1817, commemorates the fifth anniversary of the Russian victory over Napoleon’s troops in 1812.
Louis Carbonnier was put in charge of the work, following the project and under supervisory control of engineer Augustin de Betancourt. Covering an area of 7,500 sq-meters, the roof, 47 meters wide, was built without any supplementary support. Only in 1824 and 1825 did architect Joseph Bove carry out the finishing of the white and yellow neoclassical building.
Throughout its history, the building had many different purposes. In 1831 it became an exhibition hall. Later, concerts were given there, like the one that gathered 12,000 people in 1867 to listen to pianist Anton Rubinstein. In 1960, it hosted artistic events.
Damaged by a fire in 2004, the Manezh reopened in the fall of 2005. Although it looks the same on the outside, the inside was entirely modified. For example an underground floor covering 10,270 sq-meters was added.