Russian Ceramic Museum and Kuskovo Estate
Kuskovo estate belonged to the famous boyar and earl Sheremetev family. Bought to his brother in 1715 by Marshall Boris Petrovich Sheremetev, it is his son, Peter Borisovich Sheremetev, who launched the construction of what would be the family’s summer residence.
Peter Borisovich was Russia’s wealthiest lord and owner of a palace in Saint Petersburg, he had the existing Kuskovo manor turned into a real palace. With its neoclassical style it could compete with those of the imperial family. Famous for its theatre, the estate also has a Dutch pavilion, an orangery, a formal garden, a landscape garden, a pond as well as various adjoining buildings. Many celebrations took place on the estate including one with Empress Catherine II.
Nationalized after the Revolutoin, Kuskovo Estate was turned into a museum. In 1938, it was merged with the Ceramic Museum. The latter contains a vast collection of thirty thousand items in glass and ceramic as well as rare items in Russian porcelain.
Kuskovo Estate is a cultural centre where each year many exhibitions, shows, meetings, concerts and music festivals take place.