Monument to Yuri Dolgorukiy
This monument is located on Tverskaya Square, facing Moscow Council.
It is dedicated to Grand Prince of Kiev Yuri Dolgorukiy (long-arms Yuri) founder of the city of Moscow in the early 12th century. We owe the equestrian statue portraying him in armor, sword in hand, to Sergei Olrov.
Erected in 1954, it succeeded to the “Constitution Obelisk” (26 meters high), completed later on by the “Statue of Liberty”. These monuments had themselves replaced in 1812 a statue erected in memory of Mikhail Skobelev, hero of the Russian-Turkish war (1877-1878).
It should be noted that Tverskaya Square changed names as many times as it welcomed new monuments.