Alexander Pushkin Monument
This statue of Alexander Pushkin, unveiled on June 6, 1880 on Strastanaya Square at the beginning of Tverskoy Boulevard, is the first monument in Moscow dedicated to the Russian poet. Created thanks to a public subscription it was carried out by Alexander Opekushin.
Considered by all as a masterpiece, the representation of Alexander Pushkin that the sculptor achieved is imbued with great realism. The poet seems lost in his thoughts walking around the streets of his home city.
The statue is supported by a beautifully made pedestal created by Ivan Bogomolov. The monument all together is 11 meters high. It is surrounded by four cast iron street lamps that were made by the same architect.
After the reconstruction of Tverskoy Boulevard, the monument was moved to the centre of Strastnaya square, now renamed Pushkinskaya Sqaure.
On two sides of the pedestal are engraved words from Alexander Pushkin’s poem “Monument”.