Russian Academy of Arts
Initially built in the 18th century, the building that now houses the Russian Academy of Arts has known many changes. Its contemporary façade was envisioned by architect Alexander Kaminsky in 1870-1871. He was inspired by baroque architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli’s work.
When he bought the house at the beginning of the 20th century, collector Ivan Morozov transformed the entire interior so as to make it worthy of welcoming all of his paintings and sculptures. This collection was nationalized after the revolution and the”Second museum of new western painting” was created in this building. Later its name changed to “State museum of new western painting”. It then closed in 1946.
In 1947, the USSR Academy of Arts settled in the former. Since 1992 it is called the Russian Academy of Arts.