This museum was created in 1872. Its first exhibitions coincided with the two hundred years of Peter the Great’s birth (1672-1725). In 1877, it moved into a Russian-Byzantine style building.
Nowadays it is the largest technical museum in Russia. It is divided in sixty-five rooms, taking up a whole of 10,500 sq-meters. Its collections are made of a hundred and ninety thousand items. The exhibition tells the story of technologies, the way they work and how their creators came to make them.