The Epiphany Convent (former monastery) was founded in 1426 by Nikita who was a disciple and a relative of Sergy Radonezhsky canonized by the Russian Orthodox church.
In 1559 the construction of the monastic Bogoyavlensky (Epiphany) church began. This cathedral was the first stone building in Kostroma. In 1609, during Polish-Lithuanian Intervention, the Monastery was looted. Even serious recovery works could not reconstitute the original appearance of the monastic territory. On the 17th of August 1991 the Epiphany church became cathedral.
The Monastery hosts within its walls the most sacred object for residents of Kostroma - Fedorovskaya Icon of Virgin considered to be the protector of the city for hundreds years.