The wide boulevard "Heroes Avenue" appeared on August 25, 1954 during the postwar reconstruction of the city and connects the Central embankment to the city centre.
It was meant to immortalize the soldiers who heroically defended the city during the battle of Stalingrad.
The architectural complex of Heroes Avenue is a striking example of monumental architecture, so-called Stalin's Empire style. The avenue begins with the presentation of awards received by the city for the courage and heroism showed in battle - the Order of Lenin and the Gold Star medal. The boulevard is framed with beautiful Lombardy poplars.