Ludnikov Island is a piece of land stretching on 700 meters along the Volga River and 400 meters in the city.
This territory went down in history during the battle of Stalingrad as the sector defended by the 138th division of infantry decorated with the Red Flag Order and led by Colonel Ludnikov.
Today the “Island” became a commemorative complex containing several monuments. A stele with a bronze commemorative plate was unveiled in 1955 so as to honor the heroism of the colonel.
The “Island” also still has the ruins of the house of the director of the nearby plant where the headquarters of the division had been set up as well as three communal graves containing the bodies of the fallen soldiers.