This estate was bought by Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910) in 1882. The famous Russian writer lived there with his wife and ten of his thirteen children. However he kept spending each summer with his family in his other estate called “Yasnaya Polyana” (bright clearing) near the city of Tula. After settling back there in 1901, Leo Tolstoy stayed again in his Moscow estate in 1909.
Nationalized, the house was restored and turned into a museum in 1921. It contains a collection of 6,000 original items retracing Tolstoy’s story as well as his family’s.