Monastery of the Epiphany
This monastery was created in 1282 by Daniel Moskovsky. This prince was canonized by the Orthodox Church in 1652 as he was credited with miracles.
In 1672, the monastery was extended. At the end of the 17th century a cathedral in “Naryshkin Baroque” style was added. In 1788, the monastery became see of Moscow’s auxiliary bishop. In 1866, the monastery entered its “Golden Age” as relics of martyrs and icons were transferred from Mount Athos.
In the 20th century, the monastery lost some of its land for the construction of public structures. It was shut down in the 1920s and returned to the Church in the early 1990s.