This monastery is located in the very centre of Moscow, right in the Bely Gorod, historical centre of the city. It is estimated to have been founded around 1330 by Peter of Moscow, the first Metropolitan of Moscow and Russia.
This monastery, that participated in the protection of Moscow, houses two cathedrals including Saint Peter’s Cathedral (early 16th century) and a few churches. The oldest are the Church of Saint Sergius (1690-1702) and the Church of Our Lady of Kazan (1905).
Shut down during Soviet time, it was restored and returned to the Church in 1992.