The monastery of Kitai-Gorod was built in 1600 by Tsar Boris Gudonov.
Its name “Zaikonospassky” (which means "behind the icon of the Savior") comes from its proximity with a former place where icons used to be exchanged as selling them wasn’t allowed at the time.
Since its creation it was dedicated to education, from 1687 to 1814 it hosted the Slavonic-Greek-Latin Academy, which was the first higher institute. The Academy then moved to Sergiyev Possad.
At the beginning of the 18th century the Cathedral of the Savior was built in Naryshkin Baroque or Muscovite Baroque style.
It was closed down during the Soviet era, religious service only resumed in 1992 after its restitution to the Church.