This convent (also called conception convent) is one of the oldest in Moscow. It was founded in 1360 by Metropolitan Alexis of Kiev in honor of Saint Anne’s Conception.
Partially destroyed in 1547, it only became a convent again in 1584. At that time the Cathedral of the Conception of Saint Anne and the Virgin Mary as well as the Nativity Church were added.
In 1612, the convent was almost entirely destroyed in the Lithuanian-Polish invasion. In 1804 the Cathedral was destroyed and another was built: the neo-gothic church of Nativity of Mary.
Looted in 1992, the Conception convent closed down in 1927. It was only returned to the Church in 1991 and resumed its prior monastic functions in 1995.