Novospassky Monastery (the new savior) was founded in 1490 by Prince Ivan III. He transferred there the monks from the Savior convent in Kremlin.
Its walls and towers were built between 1640 and 1642. Three years later the Transfiguration Cathedral was added. Its underground contains a few tombs including some of the Romanov-Zakharin boyar family.
Shut down in 1918, the monastery became a NKVD prisoner camp for a while. The tombs were looted. The restoration of the monastery started in 1972. It belongs to the Church again since 1991.