Cathedral of Beheading of St John the Baptist
The Cathedral was built in 1514-1515 in the Ivanovsky convent on order of Great Prince Vasili III. Its architect was Alosius the Young. He was also the one to design the Cathedral of Archangel Saint Mikhail in Moscow’s Kremlin.
It became a parish church in 1530 after the convent moved away and was rebuilt between 1757 and 1770 in baroque style. In 1780, a bell tower was added along with other buildings.
The Cathedral was closed in 1917 and restored between 1970 and 1980. Returned to the Orthodox Church in 1990, it since hosts an exhibition of glass art.