This monastery was created in 1397 by Prince Vasili to commemorate the release, considered miraculous, of Moscow after the invasion of Tarmelan troops. According to the legend, a procession led by Metropolitan Cyprian met the miraculous icon of Vladimir’s Mother of God. The next day, the enemy was backing away.
The five-domed cathedral, raised in 1679, is the only building left nowadays. The others were destroyed during soviet times. A KGB structure used to stand there. Until 1990 the cathedral hosted the Grabar Artistic Center of Scientific Restoration. In 1991 it was returned to the Church.