Naval Cathedral of Saint Nicholas
The cathedral is made up of two churches. The first, located on the ground floor, is consecrated to Nicholas the Miracle-Worker, who watches over sailors and travelers. The other one, on the first floor, is called Epiphany Church.
Erected in the years 1753-1762, it is the largest baroque Elizabethan style orthodox building in Saint Petersburg and its region. Its white and blue façade is made up of a Corinthian colonnade. Five golden domes crown the cathedral.
All through its history, it has always been associated with the Russian fleet, whether to celebrate the launching of new ships or to honor the memory of sailors. It commemorates, among others, the sailors who died during the Russian-Japanese conflict (1904-1905) as well as the lost nuclear submarines “Komsomolets” (1989) and “Kursk” (2000).