Our Lady of Vladimir Cathedral
This beautiful five domed cathedral on Vladimirskaya Square was erected in the years 1761-1769. Its architecture is a good example of the bridge period between baroque and classical styles.
The cathedral is made up of two churches. The one on the ground floor is dedicated to Saint John of Damascus. The second one is dedicated to Our Lady of Vladimir.
Following the plans of Italian architect Giacomo Quarenghi, a three levels bell tower was added in 1783-1791. The cathedral underwent other modifications in its history.
The cathedral hosts not only the icon of “Our Lady of Vladimir” (one of the most venerated in Russia) but also the icon of “Mandylion” (miraculously printed image of the Christ) as well as a part of the relics of Seraphim of Sarov.
It was the parish church of writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1821-1881). It was closed from 1932 to 1989. On May 7th, 2000 it received the status of cathedral.