Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin
This church was erected to replace another one in wood that had been destroyed by lightning in 1803. The work on the contemporary building, with architect Vassily Mochulsky in charge, started in 1805.
Consecrated in 1809, its empire style stands out with its rotunda and Tuscan colonnade. It contains a beautiful iconostasis, the relics of several saints as well as what is thought to be a fragment of the Holy Cross. The church also hosts burial places including those of Cossack family Orlov-Denisov.
Closed in 1937, it was only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1992. Three years later restoration started. However there were some discussions about the possibility of its destruction.
In the end it was spared, and the church was entirely restored and consecrated again in 2003 in front of Saint Petersburg’s metropolitan.