Church of Saint Catherine the Great Martyr
This church was built to replace an older one in wood that burnt to the ground in 1809. An icon dedicated to the Saint was saved from the ashes. The first stone of the new building was laid in 1811. Architect Andrei Mikhailov designed it.
The new church, in Greek style, was consecrated in 1823. Between 1861 and 1863 it underwent several modifications including the addition of a bell tower. Reaching 58 meters, it towers above the whole Vasilevsky Island. Its dome circled with a colonnade and surmounted by an angel holding a cross can be seen from pretty far away.
The Church of Saint Catherine the Great martyr was vandalized in 1917. It was returned to the Church in 1996. After that a few years were necessary for the renovation of the entire building.