Church of Our Lady of Smolensk
Located on Vasilevsky Island, this church stands in the Smolensk Orthodox graveyard.
It was built in 1786-1790, so as to replace an older wooden church that remained until 1790. The architect of the contemporary church, A. Ivanov, designed it in a classical style. The church has a bell tower and a dome, and it stands out with its blue color.
Well-known for hosting the icon of Our Lady of Kazan after the cathedral closed in 1938, the church underwent the same fate two years late. However the Church of Our Lady of Smolensk did not have to wait until the end of the Soviet regimen to reopen. It was consecrated a second time in 1947.