Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich Palace
This palace was built for Alexei Alexandrovich Romanov (1850-1908), general admiral of the imperial army of Russia and brother of Alexander III.
Desinged by architect Maximilian Messmacher, the work was completed in 1885. Just like the Grand Duke wanted, the palace combines the charm of a medieval mansion and the comfort of the late 19th century. It mixes several styles: renaissance, baroque, rococo, oriental, etc.
In 1905, after the Russian fleet was defeated by the Japonese in a battle, Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich left Russia and settled in France. When he died in 1908 his two brothers as well as his nephew inherited the palace.
The palace became the Germany Embassy in 1911, and was nationalized after the 1917 revolution. It was given various purposes. In 2005, the palace, badly damaged, was given to the Music House. After renovation this organization settled in the building in 2009.