Monastery of Kazan
The monastery of Kazan for women was erected in Yaroslavl in 1610, near the cathedral dedicated to the icon of the Virgin of Kazan.
This icon brought to Yaroslavl in 1588 became the source of miracles and recoveries. After Yaroslavl was miraculously saved from a 24 days long siege held by the Polish army, the icon became the saint patron and protector of the city. The grateful inhabitants of the Yaroslavl decided to build a place of worship dedicated to it.
In Soviet times the monastery was closed and turned into the regional archives' storage. It was returned to the Church in 1998.