Chesme Palace is actually just a travel palace. It was requested by Catherine II, she used to stop there to rest on her way to Tsarkoye Selo.
In Neo-Gothic style, it was desined by architect Georg Veldten between 1774 and 1777. He was also put in charge of the construction of Chesme Church. This marvel of architecture is unlike any of the other works of this architect.
The palace wasn’t much used as a travel’s resting place. From the second half of the 19th century to 1919 it was used as an almshouse. Later and until 1930 it was part of a forced labor camp. Today Chesme Palace is the home of the State University of Aerospace Instrumentation.