Ivan Shuvalov Palace
This palace was built for Earl Ivan Shuvalov. This favorite of Elisabeth II was, among other things, the founder of Moscow’s State University and of the Saint Petersburg’s Imperial Academy of Fine Arts.
The construction of the palace (1749-1755) was successfully completed by architect Savva Chevakinsky. The building was designed in baroque style.
Shuvalov fell into disgrace under Catherine II and left Saint Petersburg. The palace became the property of public prosecutor Alexander Viazemsky who had it rebuilt. From 1776 the building sported a classical style façade.
Bought by the crown in 1797, Ivan Shuvalov Palace became the Ministry of Justice. Since the 1917 Revolution, it hosts a preventive health centre as well as a hygiene museum.