Pyotr Shuvalov Palace
The Naryshkin family, old Russian family, already had a palace on this site that dated back to the late 18th century and was a meeting place of Saint Petersburg’s high society.
Earl Shuvalov received it with his wife’s, Sophia Naryshkina, dowry and decided to have it rebuilt.
The work took place between 1844 and 1846 and was led by architect Nikolai Efimov. He gave it an Italian renaissance style. From then on the palace was also called “Naryshkin-Shuvalov Palace”.
The palace stayed property of the Shuvalo family until it was nationalized in 1918. Since 1965, it hosts the Home of friendship and peace with foreigners.