Yussupov’s Moika Palace
The initial construction of this palace took place in the second half of the 18th century. It was built by french architect Jean-Baptiste Vallin de La Mothe for Earl Andrei Shuvalov. After he died the palace belonged to Countess Alexandra Branitskaya.
In 1830, it was bought by Boris Yussupov and was to stay in the House of Yussupov until 1917. The Yussupovs, a prince family considered as one of the greatest of Russian, were immensely rich.
The palace underwent many architectural modifications throughout its history. The most important one took place in 1830-1838 and was led by architect Andrei Mikhailov.
This palace is associated with Rasputin’s last moments: on September 16, 1916 Prince Felix Yussupov invited the latter to the palace. Later, with help from some of his friends, after trying to poison him and shooting him, he wrapped him in a blanket and tossed him in the river, where he died of hypothermia.