Yussupov Palace on Sadovaya Street
This palace was built to replace an older and more modest home from the early 18th century. It already belonged to the House of Yussupov, considered as one of the greatest house in Russia.
The contemporary building was built on request of Nicolas Yussupov. Diplomat in Paris, he had to leave France after the Revolution. He arrived back in Saint Petersburg with a great art collection and put architect Giacomo Quarenghi in charge of the work.
Completed in 1793, it turned into a classical style palace with a six columns portico. It opens on a park with ponds and an artificial island.
In 1810, the palace was sold. It became the first building of Saint Petersburg’s Transport State University.