Old Hermitage (Large Hermitage)
Catherine II had the Old Hermitage especially built so as to welcome a part of her collections as well as as a library.
Once again, architect Georg Veldten was put in charge of the design. Between 1771 and 1787 he led the construction of this two-storey high palace whose classical style entirely conforms that of the 18th century.
Today the Old Hermitage’s halls are dedicated to Italian paintings from the 13th to the 18th century.